Friday 26 February 2010

NINE AFFIRMATIONS TO HELP SHRINK THE WHALE PLUS ONE

This is to be credited to Rev.Lynn Vanderhoof,D min,Thomas Jefferson University Health System. I originally found it on breastcancer.org but the link was lost(if anyone finds another source let me know). So I have shown it here in full PLUS my one extra.

ONE - KNOWLEDGE:

The more I know of my condition, the better; to be unaware is to be frightened.

TWO - DECISION-MAKING:

The more informed decisions I actually make for myself,
the more I feel in charge and the less helpless I feel.

THREE - BELIEF IN MY PHYSICIAN:

The more I can trust my doctors, the more confidence
I will have in my treatment plan.


FOUR - SUPPORT:

Especially talking to others who have been through
the same or similar experiences, and
knowing they have come out the other side, is reassuring.


FIVE - TIMELINESS:

The smaller the delay from discovery to diagnostic testing
to report to treatment, the less time there is for me to mentally
live the 'worst-case scenario.'


SIX - FAITH:

Awareness that there is some being or force greater than myself
helps me keep myself and my issues in better perspective.


SEVEN - HUMOUR:

An ability to laugh with others, to laugh at myself and
even at the indignities inherent to treating cancer,
keeps me emotionally balanced.


EIGHT - BEING HEARD:

Stating my needs in as clear a way as possible and insisting
the healthcare professionals with whom I am working take
my questions/needs seriously is essential to a healing process.

NINE - COUNTING MYSELF PART OF THE HEALTH-CARE TEAM:

No one can know my body like I can, no one can know what
symptoms are unusual for me like I can, and this makes my
contribution central to my healing.


TEN - MY ILLNESS IS UNIQUE TO ME:

My journey will be unique to me even though some paths
may be similiar to others it doesn't mean
the whole way will be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment